Our read aloud programs are designed to help children “cruise into kindergarten.”
The Hershey Public Library provides a regular schedule of preschool virtual programming from September to July. This consists of Books and Babies, 1, 2, Whee!, Storytime. Each cycle includes two weeks of registration and five weeks of programming.
Pennsylvania Libraries and the Hershey Public Library know that children’s development in the years between birth and Kindergarten is impacted greatly by loving relationships, stimulating environments and engaging experiences. The Hershey Public Library encourages families to build stronger relationships by acknowledging and supporting families as a child’s first teacher. We provide families with a place to socialize, play, read and find support that will bolster their role in creating the foundations for life-long learning and success.
Books & Babies
Mondays at 10:00 am. March 22 to April 26.
Join us on the library’s Facebook page for Books & Babies! Families with pre-walking babies (birth-12 months) can share songs, simple stories, nursery rhymes, and action plays with Ms. Rita through the magic of Facebook Live. Each program lasts 15-20 minutes. The live recording will be available for a week, until the next fun-filled Facebook Live. Tune in on Monday mornings or a time that suits your family.
1, 2, Whee!
Tuesdays at 10:00 am. March 23 to April 27.
This is a mixed-age program for ones and twos with a caregiver. Songs, stories, dances, fun, and learning–all at the same time! Join Ms. Rita in the library’s Zoom room to enjoy all the 1, 2, Whee! fun in the safety of your own home. A Zoom link will be emailed to participants prior to class.
Register online or call (717) 533-6555 ext. 3708. You will receive a link to Zoom after your refistration is confirmed.
Thursday mornings at 10:00 am. March 25 to April 29.
Join Ms. Rita on Facebook Live for a virtual storytime perfect for your preschooler. While the live video will happen Thursday mornings at 10:00 am, the video will remain on the library’s Facebook page until the following week, just before the new video goes live. We would love for you to join the livestream and interact in the chat, but you can enjoy these stories on your on schedule as well.
For children age 3-5. Registration is not required. Just tune in to Facebook Live.
The following are some helpful hints for parents & caregivers bringing children to any of our programs:
1. Please discuss the program with your child before you come. Explain that there will be stories, fingerplays, puppets, activities, and songs.
2. Please call the children’s librarian before bringing older or younger children to the program. Some sessions are at maximum capacity.
3. Please try to attend all programs. If you find you need to drop out, please notify the library so the next person on the waiting list may be called.
4. Try to arrive in plenty of time for the program. Programs will begin promptly. Latecomers distract both storytellers and audience members.
5. Please discuss appropriate behavior with your child. Good audience manners (listening respectfully and following directions) will be expected!
6. Although many children feel more comfortable carrying a “lovey” or toy from home, please be considerate of other participants. use your best judgment before allowing your child to bring toys to our programs.
7. Plan to check out books to you and your child can continue the library experience at home!